Tuesday 13 October 2015

What to make of the first lot of games ?




OK I have put forward a few games that have taken my fancy (15) and one game system (Bash! Fantasy). We will ignore Bash! Fantasy for the moment as it is really the system I am looking at, although the new addition does come with its own setting.

So the 15 games all are of interest to me and I would be happy to play any of them, but I think I should put my money where my blog is and list them in the order, at the present moment, I think I would prefer. Really, there is very little between any of the games but here it is in reverse order .....

15. Mutant Epoch: A good game with plenty of options, maybe to many. Lots and lots of support material.

14. Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition:  Another good game, but it will probably be a couple of years before all the promised books see the light of day. So that was a major factor in its ranking.

13. Vow of Honor: Difficult to rank, but may not appeal to the group ??

12. Broken Rooms: This one is hard to classify, but an excellent game none the less.

11. Hunt the Wicked: A better fit for the group, I think, than Vow of Honor.

10. Better Angels: Really good game just not sure my group could get the being good while doing evil vibe ?

9. Shadow of the Demon Lord: A very good old style fantasy game, mixing various fantasy rules system. I could easily run it and be happy to do so.

8. Clockwork Dominion: This would be my goto game for Steampunk adventures. Like the cards instead of dice. like the setting setup.

7. Hellas: Worlds of Blood and Stone: If the group wanted a SF game this is probably the one I would push for.

6. Atlantis: The Second Age: If it wasn't for The One Ring and Fate of the Norns, this would be my pick as a fantasy game. A more traditional style game than the other two and there is nothing wrong with that.

5. Metamorphosis Alpha: Certainly the easiest of the post-apocalypse games. An oldie but a goodie setting and you can play a mutant plant.

There is really nothing to choose between the top four, all are really excellent games. Honestly there is not much to choose between any of the games .....grrrr.....ahhhh.

4. Corporia: Just a great cyperpunk/shadowrun style setting, with a strong, but uncomplicated, set of rules. Plus the King Arthur twist in the tail/tale.

3. Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok: Only ranked three because there are still a couple of books to come. Could easily be played now with the material currently available.

2. The One Ring: The fantasy game of, my, choice. Clean system, great background, a whole campaign ready to roll.

1. Mutant Year Zero: I like the rules, the "enclosed" nature of the initial setup and just the whole atmosphere of the game.


So that's that from me for the time being, there are new games on the way and many slightly older games to look at, but for the moment I will take a few days off ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment